Gratot Castle, locally known as Château de Gratot, lies in the village by the same name, north west of the town of Coutances in the Manche department in the Normandy region in France.
Gratot Castle was built in the 13th century by the d'Argouges family. They kept possession of the castle up until 1777 when it became a march.
The entire castle is circled by a moat. The castle itself is composed of a main house dating back to the 15th century (though its façade was rebuilt in the 17th century), and its two lateral towers both build in different architectural styles.
A substantial addition was made to the castle in the 18th century with the construction of a pavilion. Vaulted cellars run under the entire castle. Only two towers of the 13th century have been preserved, one of which is the ancient postern. The outhouses with the present gate, date back to the 16th century.
During the 19th century the castle was owned by several owners who never kept up the property. Finally, at the beginning of the 20th century, the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin. It became almost completely covered by ivy. Only the outhouses were used for storage by local farmers. The castle was restored by volunteers between 1968 and 1988.
This is a very nice castle ruin, worth a visit. At present it is used for cultural activities and it can be visited for a small fee.