Gangelt Castle lies in the town of Gangelt, north of the Dutch town of Brunssum, in the North Rhine-Westphalia region in Germany.
Gangelt Castle was first mentioned in 1364. In 1484 the castle and town of Gangelt were destroyed by fire. The castle was rebuilt in 1511 by a knight; Gotart von Hanxler.
In 1542 the castle and town were again destroyed by fire. This time by the hands of the Emperial troops. Between 1553-55 the castle and town were again rebuilt. Only to be sieged again in 1568 by Spanish troops.
When, in 1648, the last knight Von Hanxler died, the castle passed on to another branch; the Hanxler von Steinkallenfels family. Two more owners followed; the Counts of Wenburg (1666) and the Counts of Schaefberg (1707).
In 1791 the entire castle was torn down, with exception of the keep. The moat around the castle was filled in with stones from destroyed buildings, in 1945.
The keep we see today probably dates back to the 16th century. At some time during its existence it was used as a city gate. It was restored twice in the second half of the 20th century.
The castle can not be visited; it is now a private house. This is a peculiar keep in a quiet little town, which also still has two medieval city gates and parts of the city wall.