Fressin Castle, locally known as Château de Fressin or Château de Créquy, lies in the village with the same name, north of the town of Hesdin in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in France.
Fressin Castle was built in the early 15th century by Jean V de Créquy, one of the first Knights of the Golden Fleece, counsellor and chamberlain to Philip the Good. It was one of the great strongholds in the region, an indication of the opulence of the Créquy family during the period of the Burgundy dukes.
Fressin Castle was rectangular in plan with eight cylindrical towers. The lower court was in turn surrounded by a wall flanked by nine defensive towers. Later it was quickly strengthened to resist new artillery methods.
In 1522 Fressin Castle was nearly destroyed by the English. In 1525 the castle was taken by Philippe de Croy, Lord of Arschott, one of the leaders of the army of Charles V. In 1527 the castle was garrisoned by the French with troops from Gascony and Italy. In 1544, while the English sieged the city of Montreuil, a detachment of their men took Fressin Castle in order to protect the passage of food convoys. In 1552 the castle was finally captured from the French by Adrien de Croy, Count of Roeulx.
In 1658 however Fressin Castle fell into the hands of the rebel Balthazar de Fargues who attacked it with cannon fire and mining. Afterwards the castle was dismantled and never rebuilt leaving its ruins to become overgrown.
During the Revolution the remains of Fressin Castle were confiscated and sold to a miller. It was returned to its former owners; the La Tour d'Auvergne family, in 1804.
In 1852 the Seillière family became owners of the ruins of Fressin Castle. They closed off the site and preserved it.
This is a great castle ruin in a quiet rural village. It's beautifully overgrown although clearing this overgrowth would probably show more architectural details. The castle can be visited.