Fort Vuren, lies west of the village of Vuren, in the province of Gelderland in the Netherlands.
Fort Vuren was built in 1844 at the dike on the north bank of the Waal river. At first it only consisted of an earthen redoubt and a lunette. Together with Loevestein Castle, on the opposite riverbank, it was part of the New Hollandic Waterline and had to stop enemies going from east to west along the river. Between 1847 and 1851 the fort was strengthened with a bombproof round tower. The tower, with a diameter of 40 meters, had 3 floors; a cellar, a ground level and a first floor. The tower was encircled by a moat and could only be entered over a drawbridge on its west side.
During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, in which the Netherlands didn't participate, Fort Vuren was mobilized as a precaution.
Between 1874 and 1879 the first floor of the tower was removed due to the advance in modern artillery. To compensate for this loss of space a bombfree barracks was built on the lunette to the north. To protect the front of the tower a counterscarp gallery was built east of it. Also the moat around the tower was largely filled in and the northern lunette and the redoubt were joined together. The entrance to the tower was replaced from its west side to the north. The old entrance was walled up and the drawbridge leading to it was removed. A new bridge was built to the interior of the fort. Thus creating the fort as it is today.
In 1880 Fort Vuren was manned by 495 soldiers and was armed with 6 howitzers, 16 cannons, 4 mortars and 4 coehorn mortars.
During WW I Fort Vuren was again mobilized as a precaution. In 1940 it was again mobilized and suffered a German air raid. During WW II it was occupied by German forces. After the war the fort was used as a prison for collaborators and former members of the National Socialist Movement.
At present Fort Vuren can be visited for free. It also serves as a B&B, wedding location and there is a small inn. A very nice fort, the interior of the tower is especially worth visiting.