Fort Good Hope
Fort Good Hope is situated in the little town of Senya Beraku in Ghana.
In 1667 the Dutch established a lodge in Senya Beraku. In 1705-06, on invitation of the local Agona chief, they built a small stone triangular fort. They called it Fort de Goede Hoop, which translates to Fort Good Hope, for they hoped that trade in gold, ivory and slaves would boom. The fort was built on a promontory near a cove with a good landing beach.
The trade boom in gold did not materialise but the slave trade did due partly to the increase in prisoners from wars between the local tribes. By 1715 the small fort could not cope with the volume of the slaves.
In 1724 Fort Good Hope was rebuilt into its present form; a larger rectangular fort. It consisted of 4 bastions with curtain walls. A large male slave prison was created in the south west bastion. Around a central courtyard were ranged appartments and a hall for officers and garrison, stores, kitchens, a granary, a female slave prison and an powder magazine. Later an outer wall was built round the fort which has almost dissappeared entirely.
In 1816 Fort Good Hope was abandoned by the Dutch and in 1868, with the exchange of forts, it reverted to the British. At some point during the British rule the fort fell into disuse as it was a partial ruin 1957. In the 1980's the fort was restored and part of it was taken into use as a resthouse.
At present the fort is still in use as a resthouse and a very small B&B. It can be visited free of charge but as always a friendly tip is very much appreciated.
This is a nice small fort on a great location with beautiful sea views.