Dunseverick Castle lies west of the village of Dunseverick, in County Antrim, in Northern Ireland.
When the first fortification was built on this site is unknown. The site however was a 'key' ancient site in Ireland. One of the royal roads from Tara, seat of the Kings of Ireland, ended here. So probably a stone fort preceded Dunseverick Castle.
The castle is named after Sobairce, one of the Kings of Ireland, who reputedly built a fort, called Dunsobairce (Fortress of Sobairce), here in 1525 BC.
In the 5th century the fort was visited several times by Saint Patrick who even baptized a local man here who later became Bishop of Ireland. A well, which existed a few feet from the cliff edge, was named after St. Patrick and was reputed to be one of the 'holy' wells of Ireland.
In 870 the stone fort at this location was attacked by Vikings. From about 1000 till 1320 Dunseverick Castle was held by the O'Cahan family. They regained ownership in the middle of the 16th century by taking it, with help of the MacDonnell's, from the MacQuillan family. The present remains probably date back to the 16th century.
As a result of the 1641 Rising Dunseverick Castle was destroyed by General Robert Monro and his troops. Monro destroyed all the castles around the coast except Dunluce Castle, which he garrisoned with English soldiers. After that the site was abandoned.
At present all that remains of Dunseverick Castle are wall fragments of a tower and some overgrown foundations on top of the promontory. A small residential tower survived until 1978 when it eventually collapsed into the sea in 1978.
Although the remains itself are not very spectacular the setting is. Maybe not as dramatic as at Kinbane Castle but still beautiful. The site of Dunseverick Castle is freely accessible.