Downdaniel Castle

Downdaniel Castle, also called Dundaniel, lies in a field west of the town of Innishannon, in County Cork in Ireland.

The first fortification at this site, at the confluence of the Brinny and Bandon rivers, was a Danish fort erected in the 10th century, called Dundanier. Downdaniel Castle was built here around 1476 by Barry Oge, a descendant of the Cambro-Norman knight Philip de Barry.

During the 16th century the lands around the castle were gained by the MacCarthys. In 1513 a peaceful settlement was reached which allowed the Barrys to stay on as tennants.

In 1610 Downdaniel Castle was purchased by the English East India Company. Their intention was to build an iron smelter here and cut down all the timber for ship building. William Coppinger was opposed to this plan and therefore sent a force of renegades to hinder and harass the Company workers. This worked and the Company's plan was never carried out.

During the Irish Rebellion of 1641 the castle was garrisoned by MacCarthy Reagh troops but attacked and taken by English troops shortly afterwards. Cromwell later bestowed the castle and its lands to the Earl of Cork. After that it was abandoned and fell to ruin. At the end of th 19th century part of the tower collapsed during a storm.

Downdaniel Castle can freely be visited. A very much overgrown ruin but still nice.


Gallery

Downdaniel Castle

Downdaniel Castle, also called Dundaniel, lies in a field west of the town of Innishannon, in County Cork in Ireland.

The first fortification at this site, at the confluence of the Brinny and Bandon rivers, was a Danish fort erected in the 10th century, called Dundanier. Downdaniel Castle was built here around 1476 by Barry Oge, a descendant of the Cambro-Norman knight Philip de Barry.

During the 16th century the lands around the castle were gained by the MacCarthys. In 1513 a peaceful settlement was reached which allowed the Barrys to stay on as tennants.

In 1610 Downdaniel Castle was purchased by the English East India Company. Their intention was to build an iron smelter here and cut down all the timber for ship building. William Coppinger was opposed to this plan and therefore sent a force of renegades to hinder and harass the Company workers. This worked and the Company's plan was never carried out.

During the Irish Rebellion of 1641 the castle was garrisoned by MacCarthy Reagh troops but attacked and taken by English troops shortly afterwards. Cromwell later bestowed the castle and its lands to the Earl of Cork. After that it was abandoned and fell to ruin. At the end of th 19th century part of the tower collapsed during a storm.

Downdaniel Castle can freely be visited. A very much overgrown ruin but still nice.


Gallery