Deurne Castle, locally known as 'Groot Kasteel' or 'Nieuw Kasteel', which translates to Great Castle or New Castle, lies in the town of Deurne, in the province of Limburg in the Netherlands.
Deurne Castle was built shortly before 1387 by Gevaert Everaertszoon van Doerne on a sandy elevation in the swampy valley of a small stream; the Vlier. It was a square building with several turrets. Due to the thickness of the walls it probably didn't have a real military purpose.
In 1511 the castle was burned down by troops from Guelders but was rebuilt. Only to be plundered by Spanish troops in 1599. In 1645 the bailiff Otto de Vischere rebuilt the decaying castle into an inn. In 1653 the castle was enlarged by Rogier, Baron of Leefdael, who had bought it in 1651. Around 1750 the height of the turrets was lowered; removing the spires, and part of the north wing was demolished. In 1759 the castle was bought by Theodorus de Smeth. His family also thoroughly rebuilt the castle and would own it until WW2.
During the liberation of Deurne in 1944 the castle suffered heavily from Allied fire. The remains we see today mostly date back to the 17th century.
On the other side of the road stands the predecessor of Deurne Castle; the Klein Kasteel or Oud Kasteel, which translates to the Little Castle or Old Castle. It's a 14th century tower house with added farm buildings.
At present the castle ruin is being used by a youth association, hence the ugly toilet building placed inside the ruin. In 2002 the ruin was consolidated, during which the ivy on the walls was removed. This is of course better for the walls but destroyed a lot of its romantic appeal. The exterior of the castle is freely accessible.