Cortewalle Castle

Cortewalle Castle, locally known as Kasteel Cortewalle, lies in the town of Beveren, in the province of East Flanders in the Flemish region in Belgium.

Cortewalle Castle was probably built in the 15th century by the Triest family, who were the Lords of Walle at that time.

In 1671 it was bought by Jan-Frans Goubau, a year after his marriage with Margaretha Catharina Gerardi. In 1679 he was knighted. His descendants kept the castle until 1787 when it went to Pieter-Xavier van Brouckhoven, Count of Bergeyck, through marriage. His descendants lived in the castle until 1960.

During its history, and mainly in the 19th century, the fully moated Cortewalle Castle has been restored and altered many times to adapt it to the wishes of its residents. For the last time in 2007-2008. Originally there would also have been a moated bailey with agricultural buildings on its north eastern side. Those buildings have disappeared in time and have been replaced by gardens, a coach house and an orangery. The entire complex is now the center of a town park.

In 1966 the castle was acquired by the local council.

At present Cortewalle Castle is used as an office and a venue for weddings and cultural events. It can be visited for free at certain times. A nice small water castle.


Gallery

Cortewalle Castle

Cortewalle Castle, locally known as Kasteel Cortewalle, lies in the town of Beveren, in the province of East Flanders in the Flemish region in Belgium.

Cortewalle Castle was probably built in the 15th century by the Triest family, who were the Lords of Walle at that time.

In 1671 it was bought by Jan-Frans Goubau, a year after his marriage with Margaretha Catharina Gerardi. In 1679 he was knighted. His descendants kept the castle until 1787 when it went to Pieter-Xavier van Brouckhoven, Count of Bergeyck, through marriage. His descendants lived in the castle until 1960.

During its history, and mainly in the 19th century, the fully moated Cortewalle Castle has been restored and altered many times to adapt it to the wishes of its residents. For the last time in 2007-2008. Originally there would also have been a moated bailey with agricultural buildings on its north eastern side. Those buildings have disappeared in time and have been replaced by gardens, a coach house and an orangery. The entire complex is now the center of a town park.

In 1966 the castle was acquired by the local council.

At present Cortewalle Castle is used as an office and a venue for weddings and cultural events. It can be visited for free at certain times. A nice small water castle.


Gallery