Cormons Castle, locally known as Castello di Cormons, lies on a mountain, named Monte Quarin, directly north of the town with the same name, south-east of the city of Udine in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region in Italy.
The first fortification on this site dates back to prehistoric times. Later it became a Roman 'castrum' and between the 6th and 8th century it was an important stronghold for the Longobards.
Around the 10th century a second castle was erected, close to the original fortress. Meanwhile a village developed at the foot of the mountain, which was for a long period of time disputed between the Patriarchs and the Counts of Gorizia. In the 12th century the village was fortified with two circles of walls, of which some ruins remain. In 1497 it passed to Austria and in 1511 was occupied by Venetian troops, who destroyed the castle and later began its reconstruction.
The castle complex encompasses the entire flat top of the mountain. The site of the main castle is separated from the bailey by a dry moat cut across the mountain top. The only remains on the bailey are small wall fragments. The main castle seems to have been a circular building.
So not much remains of this castle but the views from the castle of the surrounding countryside are well worth the long walk up the mountain. It can not be reached by car but is freely accessible.