Comper Castle

Comper Castle, locally known as Château de Comper, lies east of the village of the same name, in the Morbihan department in France.

The castle is situated at the western edge of Paimpont forest which is considered to be the legendary Brocéliande forest from Arthurian legend. It also borders a large pond that waters its moats. The castle or the pond are said to be the birthplace of the Lady of the Lake.

Comper Castle was first mentioned in 868 AD when Salomon, King of Brittany, was supposed to be living in it. Later it became the property of the Barons of Gaël-Montfort. As early as the 13th century the castle was considered to be one of the strongest fortresses in Upper Brittany. It passed through several families and was besieged several times during the War of the Breton Succession between the Counts of Blois and the Montforts of Brittany.

In 1370 the castle was all but destroyed by the army of Bertrand du Guesclin, a Breton knight who would later become Constable of France, after which it was rebuilt. Later it went to the Counts of Laval.

In 1595, during the French Wars of Religion, between the Catholic League and Henry IV of France, Comper Castle was in the hands of the Duke of Mercœur. The troops of Henry IV besieged the castle for a month but without success. Several months later the castle was taken through a ruse by group of royalist soldiers. Three years later Henry IV had the castle dismantled. From then on the castle no longer had any military importance and it became a manor house.

In 1790, during the French Revolution, part of the Renaissance manor house was burned down. After that it fell to ruin. In the mid-19th century the present chateau was rebuilt using the ruin of the manor house.

At present Comper Castle can be visited for a fee. The interior of the medieval remains can not be visited. The chateau now houses the Arthurian Centre. Nice, but not spectacular.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/comper-castle#sigFreeId4ecd044fde

Comper Castle

Comper Castle, locally known as Château de Comper, lies east of the village of the same name, in the Morbihan department in France.

The castle is situated at the western edge of Paimpont forest which is considered to be the legendary Brocéliande forest from Arthurian legend. It also borders a large pond that waters its moats. The castle or the pond are said to be the birthplace of the Lady of the Lake.

Comper Castle was first mentioned in 868 AD when Salomon, King of Brittany, was supposed to be living in it. Later it became the property of the Barons of Gaël-Montfort. As early as the 13th century the castle was considered to be one of the strongest fortresses in Upper Brittany. It passed through several families and was besieged several times during the War of the Breton Succession between the Counts of Blois and the Montforts of Brittany.

In 1370 the castle was all but destroyed by the army of Bertrand du Guesclin, a Breton knight who would later become Constable of France, after which it was rebuilt. Later it went to the Counts of Laval.

In 1595, during the French Wars of Religion, between the Catholic League and Henry IV of France, Comper Castle was in the hands of the Duke of Mercœur. The troops of Henry IV besieged the castle for a month but without success. Several months later the castle was taken through a ruse by group of royalist soldiers. Three years later Henry IV had the castle dismantled. From then on the castle no longer had any military importance and it became a manor house.

In 1790, during the French Revolution, part of the Renaissance manor house was burned down. After that it fell to ruin. In the mid-19th century the present chateau was rebuilt using the ruin of the manor house.

At present Comper Castle can be visited for a fee. The interior of the medieval remains can not be visited. The chateau now houses the Arthurian Centre. Nice, but not spectacular.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/comper-castle#sigFreeId4ecd044fde