Cojímar Tower, locally known as Torreón de Cojímar, is situated at the seafront in the village of Cojímar on Cuba. It lies east of the old town of Havana at the mouth of the Cojímar river.
The history of Cojímar Tower is closely linked with that of Chorrera Tower.
The idea of fortifying the mouths of the Cojímar and La Chorrera rivers, east and west of the old town of Havana, dates from the early 17th century when Governor Don Pedro Valdés announced this project to the Spanish Crown to protect the town of Havana against possible English attacks. But when the war with England ended, the project was abandoned.
In 1633 the Captain-general Marquess de Cadereyta and Admiral Carlos de Ibarra came to Havana to inspect the state of the fortresses of La Fuerza, La Punta and El Morro. Both recommended the building of both Cojímar and Chorrera Tower because the sites at the mouth of these rivers were ideal to prevent enemy landings, especially by the Dutch. Troops landing there could surprise the defense of Havana because the 3 fortresses could not cover these points.
Governor Francisco Riaño Gamboa was ordered, in 1635, by royal decree to build Cojímar and Chorrera Tower. But building didn't start until 1646 when the fear of an attack by the Dutch, who were imposing their naval power in the American seas, and Portuguese hurried construction by his successor Don Álvaro de Luna y Sarmiento.
At present Cojímar Tower is still used by something like military or police. So it is not accessible. But what a nice tower! The village is also the place from where Hemingway took of with his boat to fish.