Châteaugiron Castle

Châteaugiron Castle, locally known as Château de Châteaugiron, lies in the center of the town of the same name, in the Ille-et-Vilaine department in France.

The first Châteaugiron Castle was built in the mid-11th century by Anquetil, a Norman knight, who had recieved the lands from Alan III, Duke of Brittany. This castle probably consisted of a simple keep on a motte. His son Giron gave his name to their ancestors; Château-giron. The castle gradually became the center of an important barony, eventually spreading over thirty parishes. Throughout the Middle Ages the Lords of Châteaugiron were close to the Dukes of Brittany, which gave them lots of privileges.

Oldest part of the present castle is the Romanesque castle chapel dating back to the 12th century. Probably during the 13th century Châteaugiron Castle was rebuilt into a stone fortress. The keep dates back to that period. Around 1400 Patri de Châteaugiron had the keep rebuilt and added 3 towers, curtain walls and a large residential wing.

After the Châteaugiron family died out in the beginning of the 15th century the castle went to the related Malestroit family.

Between 1450 and 1480, Jean de Derval, had the keep again rebuilt and adapted Châteaugiron Castle to the advances in artillery. At the end of the 15th century the castle was an imposing fortress with a keep, a gatehouse and 6 towers.

Through inheritance the castle passed onto the families of Rieux, Laval, Acigné and Cossé-Brissac. The last, having abandoned the castle, sold it to the Le Prestre de Lazonnet family in 1701. They saved the castle from falling to ruin by restoring it; the residential wing was remodelled and extended, a corner tower was demolished to make way for the pavillion with the wooden gallery, large gardens were layed out and the gatehouse was remodelled.

During the French Revolution Châteaugiron Castle was sold to a merchant, with exception of the keep and the Clock Tower which were given to the town. In 1936 the castle came into possession of the local council.

At present Châteaugiron Castle has several functions; its main body is used as the town hall, the other parts are used as offices and the free-standing keep is used for exhibitions. A nice castle.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/chateaugiron-castle#sigFreeIdd21292e0ad

Châteaugiron Castle

Châteaugiron Castle, locally known as Château de Châteaugiron, lies in the center of the town of the same name, in the Ille-et-Vilaine department in France.

The first Châteaugiron Castle was built in the mid-11th century by Anquetil, a Norman knight, who had recieved the lands from Alan III, Duke of Brittany. This castle probably consisted of a simple keep on a motte. His son Giron gave his name to their ancestors; Château-giron. The castle gradually became the center of an important barony, eventually spreading over thirty parishes. Throughout the Middle Ages the Lords of Châteaugiron were close to the Dukes of Brittany, which gave them lots of privileges.

Oldest part of the present castle is the Romanesque castle chapel dating back to the 12th century. Probably during the 13th century Châteaugiron Castle was rebuilt into a stone fortress. The keep dates back to that period. Around 1400 Patri de Châteaugiron had the keep rebuilt and added 3 towers, curtain walls and a large residential wing.

After the Châteaugiron family died out in the beginning of the 15th century the castle went to the related Malestroit family.

Between 1450 and 1480, Jean de Derval, had the keep again rebuilt and adapted Châteaugiron Castle to the advances in artillery. At the end of the 15th century the castle was an imposing fortress with a keep, a gatehouse and 6 towers.

Through inheritance the castle passed onto the families of Rieux, Laval, Acigné and Cossé-Brissac. The last, having abandoned the castle, sold it to the Le Prestre de Lazonnet family in 1701. They saved the castle from falling to ruin by restoring it; the residential wing was remodelled and extended, a corner tower was demolished to make way for the pavillion with the wooden gallery, large gardens were layed out and the gatehouse was remodelled.

During the French Revolution Châteaugiron Castle was sold to a merchant, with exception of the keep and the Clock Tower which were given to the town. In 1936 the castle came into possession of the local council.

At present Châteaugiron Castle has several functions; its main body is used as the town hall, the other parts are used as offices and the free-standing keep is used for exhibitions. A nice castle.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/chateaugiron-castle#sigFreeIdd21292e0ad