Castro del Río Castle
Castro del Río Castle, locally known as Castillo de Castro del Río, lies in the center of the village with the same name in the province of Córdoba in Spain.
The village of Castro del Río already existed in Roman times when it was known as Postumianus Castra, Castra Soricaria or Castra Julia.
In Moorish times the town was called Qasida or Qasrut and described as a 'strong'. In the 11th century the town fell under the rule of the Taifa of Granada. In the 12th century, under Almohad rule, a walled medina was built. The castle was part of and situated at a corner of the city walls and probably dates back to these times.
In 1232 the town was conquered by St. Ferdinand III, King of Castile. He used this border fortress as a bulwark against recurring Moorish attacks.
In 1565 the town and castle of Castro del Río were sold to the Marquess of Priego. It remained property of the Marquess until the reign of Ferdinand VI, King of Spain, in the middle of the 18th century.
The present ruins of Castro del Río Castle look very dilapidated. The interior of the castle can not be visited.