Mont Castre Castle
Mont Castre Castle, locally known as Vieux Château de Mont Castre, lies on a rocky outcrop near the village of Lithaire, east of the town of La Haye-du-Puits in the Manche department in the Normandy region in France.
When Mont Castre Castle was built isn't known. Some say it started as a Norman watch tower but its small dimensions (14m x 14m) and the absence of the typical buttresses speak against that.
It was certainly present and used in medieval times as the center of a barony founded in the middle of the 11th century by William the Bastard, who later became William the Conqueror. It was known as Le Chastel de Littehaire.
In 1204 it was confiscated and partially torn down during the annexation of Normandy by Phillipe-Auguste. However it still served as a lookout post and refuge for the villagers and their herds, which proved useful during the Hundred Years' War.
This is a small ruin with not much architectural details but with nice views over the surrounding countryside. Also the walk to the ruin is nice and takes you also to a ruined church, close by the ruin.