Old Castle Archdale
Old Castle Archdale lies on a cliff in a forest, north west of the village of Lisnarick, in County Fermanagh, in Northern Ireland. It is named Old to distinguish it from its successor; the late 18th century Castle Archdale, which was situated more to the south west.
Old Castle Archdale was built in 1615 by John Archdale, an English planter from Suffolk. He had been granted the estate, then called Tullana, in 1612 after he had payed 5 pounds, 6 shillings and 8 pence for the 1000 acres of land. The castle was built on a T-plan with a defensive bawn 66 feet by 64 feet and 15 feet high with 2 flankers on its northern corners.
During the Irish Rebellion of 1641, Old Castle Archdale was captured by Rory Maguire, as part of the uprising to retake his lands which had been forfeited in 1607. The heir to the castle; William Archdale, was saved by his nurse but the other Archdale children were killed. After the castle had been returned to the Archdales it was repaired and inhabited until 1689. Then, during the Williamite Wars, the castle was burnt out and abandoned.
Old Castle Archdale is situated in Castle Archdale Forest Park and is freely accessible. A nice small ruin in an idyllic forest.