Carriganass Castle

Carriganass Castle lies north of the village of Kealkill, in County Cork in Ireland.

Carriganass Castle was built around 1541 by Dermot O'Sullivan Beare on a rock outcrop on the north bank of the Ouvane River. Dermot was clan chieftain at the time and he built the castle at the eastern end of his clan's territory.

The surrounding bawn was built later than the tower, probably around 1580, by Owen O'Sullivan. Owen probably feared an attack by his cousin because of a serious family dispute which led to a division of the O'Sullivan Beare territory. Other sources state that the bawn was built in 1602 by the English after they had taken the castle.

In 1602, Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare was clan chieftain. He had rebelled against the English Crown and was a fugitive after the fall of Dunboy Castle. According to legend his wife was murdered by an English military commander; St. Leger, and Donal vowed revenge. He went to Carriganass Castle, then occupied by St. Leger, disguised as a monk and got him to confess the murder. Donal then killed St. Leger by throwing him off the top of the castle tower into the river below. Donal then jumped out of a window and escaped.

The castle served as a military fortress for less than a 100 years. Later it was used as a farm and was acquired by the Barrett family. In 1880 cornerstones of the tower were used to refurbish Bantry House. The O'Sullivans bought the castle back from the Barretts in the 1930's. In 2002 the O'Sullivan family donated the castle to the community.

Carriganass Castle is freely accessible during daytime. A very nice castle.


Gallery

Carriganass Castle

Carriganass Castle lies north of the village of Kealkill, in County Cork in Ireland.

Carriganass Castle was built around 1541 by Dermot O'Sullivan Beare on a rock outcrop on the north bank of the Ouvane River. Dermot was clan chieftain at the time and he built the castle at the eastern end of his clan's territory.

The surrounding bawn was built later than the tower, probably around 1580, by Owen O'Sullivan. Owen probably feared an attack by his cousin because of a serious family dispute which led to a division of the O'Sullivan Beare territory. Other sources state that the bawn was built in 1602 by the English after they had taken the castle.

In 1602, Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare was clan chieftain. He had rebelled against the English Crown and was a fugitive after the fall of Dunboy Castle. According to legend his wife was murdered by an English military commander; St. Leger, and Donal vowed revenge. He went to Carriganass Castle, then occupied by St. Leger, disguised as a monk and got him to confess the murder. Donal then killed St. Leger by throwing him off the top of the castle tower into the river below. Donal then jumped out of a window and escaped.

The castle served as a military fortress for less than a 100 years. Later it was used as a farm and was acquired by the Barrett family. In 1880 cornerstones of the tower were used to refurbish Bantry House. The O'Sullivans bought the castle back from the Barretts in the 1930's. In 2002 the O'Sullivan family donated the castle to the community.

Carriganass Castle is freely accessible during daytime. A very nice castle.


Gallery