Caravaca de la Cruz Castle
Caravaca de la Cruz Castle, locally known as Castillo de Caravaca de la Cruz, lies on a hill in the town of the same name in the province of Murcia in Spain.
When exactly Caravaca de la Cruz Castle was built is unknown. Probably there already was a Muslim castle here in the 12th century which was part of the Taifa of Murcia, an independent Muslim-ruled principality. In 1243 the castle was conquered by the Castilians under Alfonso X of Castile who donated it to Berenguer, 5th Baron of Entença.
Later the castle went to the Knights Templar who established a bailiwick here which also encompassed Cehegín and Bullas. The castle then had to defend the region against the nearby Emirate of Granada. It stayed in Templar hands until 1312 when it went back into royal hands. In 1344 it was given to the Order of Santiago.
During the 17th century the Caravaca de la Cruz Castle was slowly but surely transformed by the order from a military castle into a religious sanctuary. This is also when the Basilica de la Vera Cruz was built, which holds a relic of the true cross.
At the beginning of the 19th century the castle was strenghtened in fear of French troops. Later that century it was confiscated.
At present Caravaca de la Cruz Castle can be visited for a fee. A very nice castle in combination with the basilica, situated in a very nice town. Las Fuentes Tower is nearby.