Buranlure Castle

Buranlure Castle, locally known as Château de Buranlure, lies south of the village of Boulleret, in the Cher department in France.

The Lordship of Buranlure, held by the Bar family, was already known since the 14th century. Apparently there was a castle here during that time. The Bar family were loyal vassals to the Count of Sancerre. Situated on the border of the Kingdom of France and the Duchy of Burgundy it was used frequently as a command post for the king's troops during the Hundred Years' War to counter the Anglo-Burgundians, especially in 1420 when the town of Cosne was under Burgundian control.

The present castle however was built around 1500 by the Vinon family incorporating parts of its predecessor. It is situated in an old riverbed of the Loire, next to a stream. In later centuries the castle was neglected.

In 1769 it was bought by the Marquis of Langeron; David Perrinet du Peseau. His interest however was more in the pastures included in the estate than the castle, as he deemed it dull and sober. He converted the castle into a farmer's lodgings, and so it remained until the beginning of the 20th century.

After WW II Buranlure Castle was in a very dilapidated state and was then restored by a descendant of the Perrinet Langeron family to its present appearance.

At present Buranlure Castle can be visited for a fee, but only on appointment and only by groups. Too bad, it looks nice. Its interior is apparently empty. Cosne Castle is nearby on the other side of the Loire.


Gallery

Buranlure Castle

Buranlure Castle, locally known as Château de Buranlure, lies south of the village of Boulleret, in the Cher department in France.

The Lordship of Buranlure, held by the Bar family, was already known since the 14th century. Apparently there was a castle here during that time. The Bar family were loyal vassals to the Count of Sancerre. Situated on the border of the Kingdom of France and the Duchy of Burgundy it was used frequently as a command post for the king's troops during the Hundred Years' War to counter the Anglo-Burgundians, especially in 1420 when the town of Cosne was under Burgundian control.

The present castle however was built around 1500 by the Vinon family incorporating parts of its predecessor. It is situated in an old riverbed of the Loire, next to a stream. In later centuries the castle was neglected.

In 1769 it was bought by the Marquis of Langeron; David Perrinet du Peseau. His interest however was more in the pastures included in the estate than the castle, as he deemed it dull and sober. He converted the castle into a farmer's lodgings, and so it remained until the beginning of the 20th century.

After WW II Buranlure Castle was in a very dilapidated state and was then restored by a descendant of the Perrinet Langeron family to its present appearance.

At present Buranlure Castle can be visited for a fee, but only on appointment and only by groups. Too bad, it looks nice. Its interior is apparently empty. Cosne Castle is nearby on the other side of the Loire.


Gallery