Year of visit

  • 2012

Location

Adress: Velserenderlaan 2, Santpoort, The Netherlands.

Website

Brederode Castle

Brederode Castle, locally known as Kasteel van Brederode, lies in the dunes and woodlands northwest of the village of Santpoort, in the North Holland province in the Netherlands.

Brederode Castle was built in 1282 by Willem van Brederode. The first castle consisted of a bailey and a square keep which probably stood at the present day courtyard. Its function was to control the through road to the Kennemerland region.

Around 1300, the main castle was built with 3 square and 1 round tower at its corners. This castle was besieged and destroyed by the Cod troops under the command of Gijsbert van Nijenrode in 1351.

Between 1354 and 1426 Brederode Castle was completely restored on the existing foundations. Until its destruction in 1426 by the people of Haarlem, which mainly damaged the southern part of the castle, Brederode Castle had been the residence of the Lords of Brederode. Afterwards they moved to Batestein Castle in Vianen, which they had gained by marriage.

It took until 1464 before the northern part, which had been less damaged, was again suitable for habitation. The new castle wasn't a defensible house anymore, but a fairly comfortable residence. In 1491 however, the castle fell prey to plundering German soldiers and the castle fell into decay.

Around 1573, shortly after the siege of the city of Haarlem, Spanish troops set fire to the castle. With that the north wall of the kitchen wing collapsed and fell into the moat. Its debris nowadays forms a little overgrown island in the moat.

In the following period only the buildings on the bailey were habitable, but after 1600 these also fell into decay.

In 1679 the fief fell to the States of Holland, due to the death of Wolfert van Brederode.

In the two and a half century that followed, from 1600 till 1862, the ruins of Brederode Castle slowly disappeared under the dune sands. Only small pieces of wall stuck out of the sand.

From 1862 until 1903 the castle ruins were excavated and researched. Also between 1986 and 1988 the castle's construction history was researched.

Up until the end of 2012, Brederode Castle could be visited, but because of the present crisis the government was planning to stop the subsidy which kept the castle open. So it would no longer be possible to visit. But after regional protests the castle will be opened.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/brederode-castle#sigFreeIdbe0f21bb77

Year of visit

  • 2012

Location

Adress: Velserenderlaan 2, Santpoort, The Netherlands.

Website

Year of visit

  • 2012

Location

Adress: Velserenderlaan 2, Santpoort, The Netherlands.

Website

Brederode Castle

Brederode Castle, locally known as Kasteel van Brederode, lies in the dunes and woodlands northwest of the village of Santpoort, in the North Holland province in the Netherlands.

Brederode Castle was built in 1282 by Willem van Brederode. The first castle consisted of a bailey and a square keep which probably stood at the present day courtyard. Its function was to control the through road to the Kennemerland region.

Around 1300, the main castle was built with 3 square and 1 round tower at its corners. This castle was besieged and destroyed by the Cod troops under the command of Gijsbert van Nijenrode in 1351.

Between 1354 and 1426 Brederode Castle was completely restored on the existing foundations. Until its destruction in 1426 by the people of Haarlem, which mainly damaged the southern part of the castle, Brederode Castle had been the residence of the Lords of Brederode. Afterwards they moved to Batestein Castle in Vianen, which they had gained by marriage.

It took until 1464 before the northern part, which had been less damaged, was again suitable for habitation. The new castle wasn't a defensible house anymore, but a fairly comfortable residence. In 1491 however, the castle fell prey to plundering German soldiers and the castle fell into decay.

Around 1573, shortly after the siege of the city of Haarlem, Spanish troops set fire to the castle. With that the north wall of the kitchen wing collapsed and fell into the moat. Its debris nowadays forms a little overgrown island in the moat.

In the following period only the buildings on the bailey were habitable, but after 1600 these also fell into decay.

In 1679 the fief fell to the States of Holland, due to the death of Wolfert van Brederode.

In the two and a half century that followed, from 1600 till 1862, the ruins of Brederode Castle slowly disappeared under the dune sands. Only small pieces of wall stuck out of the sand.

From 1862 until 1903 the castle ruins were excavated and researched. Also between 1986 and 1988 the castle's construction history was researched.

Up until the end of 2012, Brederode Castle could be visited, but because of the present crisis the government was planning to stop the subsidy which kept the castle open. So it would no longer be possible to visit. But after regional protests the castle will be opened.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/brederode-castle#sigFreeIdbe0f21bb77

Year of visit

  • 2012

Location

Adress: Velserenderlaan 2, Santpoort, The Netherlands.

Website