Bonneville Castle, locally known as Château de Bonneville, lies on a rocky spur in the center of the town with the same name in the Arve river valley, in the Haute-Savoie department in France. The castle is also known as Château de Béatrix de Faucigny or Château du Rocher.
The first fortification at this site which consisted of a wooden fort, was built in 1262 by Peter II, Count of Savoy, for his daughter Beatrice de Faucigny. Not much later it was transferred to his son Hugues de la Tour du Pin. Hugues married Maria of Savoy, daughter of Amadeus V, Count of Savoy. In 1290 this fort was replaced by a stone castle.
In 1355 the Faucigny lands in the Savoy region became one of the six provinces of the new Duchy of Savoy and the castle was given as a wedding present to Bonne of Bourbon by her husband Count Amadeus VI of Savoy.
In 1392 the castle was damaged by fire.
In 1583 Bonneville Castle was restored when it was owned by the Geneva-Nemours branch of the House of Savoy. They owned it up intil the 17th century. Part of the castle was used as a prison. In the 18th century the complete castle was transformed into a prison. This use lasted until 1934.
Bonneville Castle has a long rectangular groundplan of 18 by 77 meters with two circular corner towers at its eastern side. At present the castle is private property and can not be visited. A nice castle in a small town.