Au Bois Tower
Au Bois Tower, locally known as Tour au Bois or Tour Sarrazine, lies in a valley north of the village of Saint-Waast, north west of the town of Bavay, in the Nord department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in France.
This tower was probably built in the second half of the 12th century by Baldwin V, Count of Hainaut. Together with the towers at Monceau-Saint-Waast, Beaufort and Sars-la-Bruyère it formed a line of defense protecting the border of Hainaut against the Lords of Avesnes.
It was first mentioned in 1313 as "La Tour au Bois". In the 14th century or at the end of the 15th century the tower was rebuilt. The cellar was divided into two levels, the upper floors were vaulted, large windows and chimneys were installed. Entrance to the tower was over a drawbridge giving access to an entrance door at 2nd floor level.
In the 18th century the tower may have been a hide-out for a notorious bandit in this region; Antoine-Joseph Moneuse.
At present the tower is situated in a small meadow. Its interior can not be visited. A nice tower in a peaceful location.