Bergh Castle, locally known as Kasteel Huis Bergh, lies in the town of 's-Heerenbergh, in the province of Gelderland in the Netherlands.
The first Bergh Castle on this location dates back to around 1240 and consisted of a moated, round, tuff stone tower with a separate moated bailey. Excavations in 1938 revealed the foundation of this tower. Both tower and bailey were originally strengthened by a palisade which was replaced by a circular stone defensive wall before 1300.
As the castle has been continually inhabited the building and rebuilding kept on going. Probably before 1400 the round tower was torn down and replaced by a large square keep. Also other large parts of the present castle were built before 1450; the main residential building and 2 of the 3 towers on the bailey.
In the 16th century the castle underwent major rebuilding by Count Willem IV van den Bergh. In the 80-Years War with Spain the Count sided with his brother-in-law; Prince William of Orange. Because of this he was summoned before the Council of Blood, of the Spanish Count Alva, in 1568. He fled to Germany with his family and his possessions were confiscated. During these times the castle was repeatedly sieged and suffered a lot of damage. When Count Willem could return, in 1576, the castle had been dismantled and no longer had any military purpose.
In the following century a true building frenzy followed; the war damages were repaired, on the bailey a large industrial building was build, the inner courtyard was lowered by 2 meters, a stair tower, a large staircase and a new residential wing were build. Also the face of the residential building was plastered white and the keep was equipped with a spire.
The year 1735 however was a disastrous year for the castle. It was totally destroyed by fire. It was rebuild afterwards but it didn't retrieve its old splendor. Also the moats were partially filled in. The castle itself became a priest seminary.
In 1912 Bergh Castle, which was in poor condition due to bad maintenance, was bought by a local industrialist JH. van Heek. He started a large restoration to save the castle. In 1929 the restorations were completed, but alas, in 1939 another fire broke out which again destroyed the largest part of the castle. Again JH. van Heek took up the restoration works. These gave the castle its present appearance.
The castle houses a large late-medieval art collection. It can be visited for a fee.