Arbesbach Castle

Arbesbach Castle, locally known as Burg Arbesbach, lies in the village of the same name, in the province of Lower Austria in Austria. It is also known as 'Stockzahn des Waldviertel' which translates to Toothpick of the Waldviertel(-region).

Arbesbach Castle was built at the end of the 12th century by Hadmar II of Kuenring on a 22-meter high granite rock. It consisted of a pentagonal 25-meter high keep on a rock, with a small bailey at the base of the rock. The castle served as an outwork for the bigger Rappottenstein Castle, some 15 kilometers away. It was a border fortification protecting the lands of the Kuenring family from the Slavs to the north.

In 1480 the castle was destroyed by a band of Bohemian troops after which it was never rebuilt. Later, during the 16th century, the keep partially collapsed after which the castle was left to fall to ruin.

Already in 1884 the keep was partially restored and a wooden contraption was built into it to act as a panoramic viewing platform by the Austrian Tourist Club. They then called the tower the 'Alexanderwarte'. In 1975 this wooden 'stairtower' was rebuilt in stone.

At present Arbesbach Castle can be visited for a small fee. However, you will have to get the key to the ruin at a local bakery. The ruin is nice but the setting and the views make it spectacular.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/arbesbach-castle#sigFreeId72ef977d25

Arbesbach Castle

Arbesbach Castle, locally known as Burg Arbesbach, lies in the village of the same name, in the province of Lower Austria in Austria. It is also known as 'Stockzahn des Waldviertel' which translates to Toothpick of the Waldviertel(-region).

Arbesbach Castle was built at the end of the 12th century by Hadmar II of Kuenring on a 22-meter high granite rock. It consisted of a pentagonal 25-meter high keep on a rock, with a small bailey at the base of the rock. The castle served as an outwork for the bigger Rappottenstein Castle, some 15 kilometers away. It was a border fortification protecting the lands of the Kuenring family from the Slavs to the north.

In 1480 the castle was destroyed by a band of Bohemian troops after which it was never rebuilt. Later, during the 16th century, the keep partially collapsed after which the castle was left to fall to ruin.

Already in 1884 the keep was partially restored and a wooden contraption was built into it to act as a panoramic viewing platform by the Austrian Tourist Club. They then called the tower the 'Alexanderwarte'. In 1975 this wooden 'stairtower' was rebuilt in stone.

At present Arbesbach Castle can be visited for a small fee. However, you will have to get the key to the ruin at a local bakery. The ruin is nice but the setting and the views make it spectacular.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/arbesbach-castle#sigFreeId72ef977d25