Allinges-Vieux Castle

The castles of Allinges, locally known as Châteaux d'Allinges, lie on a ridge above the village of the same name, in the Haute-Savoie department in France.

There are 2 castles, only some 150 m apart from each other. The youngest is the south one; Allinges-Neuf Castle. Here I describe the older north one; Allinges-Vieux Castle, locally known as Château-Vieux d'Allinges.

The site of Allinges-Vieux Castle was first fortified very early in time, probably by the Burgundians, a Germanic tribe, in the 5th century. That fortification was restored in the 10th century by Rudolph II, King of Burgundy. At the same time Rudolph also had Allinges-Neuf Castle built. By then Allinges-Vieux consisted of an upper enclosure on an elevated position linked to a castral village.

Allinges-Vieux Castle belonged to a branch of the Allinges family distinct from that in possession of Allinges-Neuf. Towards the end of the 12th century Allinges-Vieux fell to the Lords of Faucigny, who then placed a garrison in the castle as Allinges-Neuf then was a possession of the Counts of Savoy. When, in 1236, Peter II, Count of Savoy, married Agnes of Faucigny both castles were united again.

After the death of Agnes, in 1268, she left Allinges-Vieux Castle to her daughter instead of her husband Peter. Thus both castles were separated again and a succession feud between the County of Savoy and the Dauphins of Viennois, heirs to the Faucigny possessions, caused the garrisons of both castles to be in almost permanent conflict with each other. The Viennois occupied their castle in 1291, 1292 and 1302, damaging Allinges-Neuf Castle with their siege engines. In 1305 both castles suffered from violent bombardments. Around 1320 major repairs were made at the castle.

Hostilities between the 2 garrisons continued until 1355 when Faucigny was incorporated into the Savoyard state by the Treaty of Paris. This fact diminished the importance of Allinges-Vieux Castle and by the end of the 14th century it was abandoned; the inhabitants of the castral village moved to the plain below the castles.

The people of Bern took both castles in 1536 and occupied them until 1567. In 1690, during the Nine Years' War, Allinges-Vieux Castle was occupied for the last time. Both castles were finally dismantled in 1703, during the War of the Spanish Succession, by Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy, threatened by the troops of Louis XIV of France.

At present Allinges-Vieux Castle is freely accessible. A nice castle ruin which, together with the other castle, makes for a nice visit.


Gallery

Allinges-Vieux Castle

The castles of Allinges, locally known as Châteaux d'Allinges, lie on a ridge above the village of the same name, in the Haute-Savoie department in France.

There are 2 castles, only some 150 m apart from each other. The youngest is the south one; Allinges-Neuf Castle. Here I describe the older north one; Allinges-Vieux Castle, locally known as Château-Vieux d'Allinges.

The site of Allinges-Vieux Castle was first fortified very early in time, probably by the Burgundians, a Germanic tribe, in the 5th century. That fortification was restored in the 10th century by Rudolph II, King of Burgundy. At the same time Rudolph also had Allinges-Neuf Castle built. By then Allinges-Vieux consisted of an upper enclosure on an elevated position linked to a castral village.

Allinges-Vieux Castle belonged to a branch of the Allinges family distinct from that in possession of Allinges-Neuf. Towards the end of the 12th century Allinges-Vieux fell to the Lords of Faucigny, who then placed a garrison in the castle as Allinges-Neuf then was a possession of the Counts of Savoy. When, in 1236, Peter II, Count of Savoy, married Agnes of Faucigny both castles were united again.

After the death of Agnes, in 1268, she left Allinges-Vieux Castle to her daughter instead of her husband Peter. Thus both castles were separated again and a succession feud between the County of Savoy and the Dauphins of Viennois, heirs to the Faucigny possessions, caused the garrisons of both castles to be in almost permanent conflict with each other. The Viennois occupied their castle in 1291, 1292 and 1302, damaging Allinges-Neuf Castle with their siege engines. In 1305 both castles suffered from violent bombardments. Around 1320 major repairs were made at the castle.

Hostilities between the 2 garrisons continued until 1355 when Faucigny was incorporated into the Savoyard state by the Treaty of Paris. This fact diminished the importance of Allinges-Vieux Castle and by the end of the 14th century it was abandoned; the inhabitants of the castral village moved to the plain below the castles.

The people of Bern took both castles in 1536 and occupied them until 1567. In 1690, during the Nine Years' War, Allinges-Vieux Castle was occupied for the last time. Both castles were finally dismantled in 1703, during the War of the Spanish Succession, by Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy, threatened by the troops of Louis XIV of France.

At present Allinges-Vieux Castle is freely accessible. A nice castle ruin which, together with the other castle, makes for a nice visit.


Gallery