Alcaraz Castle, locally known as Castillo de Alcaraz, lies on a hill next to the town of the same name, in the province of Albacete in Spain.
Alcaraz Castle was first mentioned in the 11th century, although it is possible that it was built a century earlier. It was built under Muslim rule on the top of an elongated hill. It defended the town lying beneath the hill and was an integrated part of its city walls.
In 1213 the castle and town of Alcaraz were taken by Christian troops of Alfonso VIII of Castile after a lengthy and hard-fought siege. Its geographic location made Alcaraz a gate to the Kingdom of Murcia, Granada and the Mediterranean for the Castilians so they rebuilt and reinforced the castle.
In the 15th century the independant inhabitants of Alcaraz fought against the Order of Calatrava who intended to deliver the town to the Marquess of Villena. The inhabitants even appealed to Henry IV of Castile but to no avail. They later rebelled against the Marquess. Their bet to support the Catholic Kings against Joanna la Beltraneja, in the War of the Castilian Succesion, finally earned them their wanted independance. And even the title "Very noble and very loyal", granted by Ferdinand II of Aragon in 1495.
At present the remains of Alcaraz Castle can be visited during opening times. Part of the enclosure is now used as the municipal cemetery. There is not very much to be seen of the castle but the views from the hill over the town and surrounding countryside are nice.