Airaines Castle, locally known as Tours de Luynes, lies on a hill in the village with the same name, south east of the town of Abbeville in the Somme department in the Picardy region in France.
The village of Airaines has very old roots. Excavation gave evidence of Gallo-Roman habitation. In 450 the village was ransacked by the troops of Attila the Hun.
The first castle at this site was built in 1159 by Renaud, Lord of Saint Valery, after his return from the crusades. This castle was built out of white stone. It was however demolished in 1422 by Jean of Luxembourg.
In 1444 another castle was built. It comprised a keep, a court, ditches, several underground chambers and towers with dungeons.
In 1589 Airaines castle was owned by the Duke Henri d'Orleans Longueville, Governor of Picardy and Lord of Airaines. He defeated the League troops which held the north of France against the French King. These troops however did demolish his castle and held its occupants prisoner until 1592. Afterwards the castle and lands of Airaines returned to Longueville. When he died by accident in 1595 Airaines Castle was left to his 2-year old orphaned son Henri II d'Orleans Longueville.
In 1620 the Lord of Airaines armed his province against the French King; Louis XIII. He was however defeated by the King and all his possessions were confiscated. Airaines Castle was given to the Duke Charles d'Albert de Luynes. He started to rebuild the castle.
Longueville however came back into favor with the French King and Airaines castle and his lands were returned to him. He died in 1663 and the castle was left to his daughter Marie d'Orleans Longueville. In 1711, through marriages and alliances, the castle again came into the hands of the Duke of Luynes; Charles Philippe d'Albert.
I don't know how or when the castle fell to ruin but at present all that remains of Airaines Castle are the two gate towers and some adjoining walls situated on a circular mound with a dry moat. It's a nice castle ruin with nice views over the surrounding countryside. The site is now a little park and the towers are home to very large numbers of pigeons.