Aastein Castle

Aastein Castle is a former castle which was situated east of the village of Nieuwer ter Aa, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands.

Aastein Castle was first mentioned in 1394. It was probably built earlier that century as a replacement of Ter Aa Castle, which was situated 700 m north west in a bend in the river Aa. Ter Aa Castle, with a circular plan, was older, dating back to at least before 1156, and probably considered not fitting anymore by the Van der Aa family. They were an important family in this area and owned several castles; Ter Aa, Aastein and Clarenborg.

In the late 15th century the castle went to Gerrit van Renesse, through his marriage with Agniese van der Aa. In 1666 the 3 family castles were sold in one buy by Lady Anna van Renesse van der Aa. A year later they were again sold in one buy, this time to Frederik van Renesse van Moermont, Lord of Zuileveld.

Aastein Castle was destroyed by French troops in 1673 during the Franco-Dutch War. As the old castle had lost its military purpose and was situated next to a silted up river it was never rebuilt. The castle ruins were left to crumble away and every trace of the castle disappeared during the 18th century.

Depictions of the castle show it to have been a square tower house with a rectangular bailey, all circled by a moat.

At present nothing of Aastein Castle remains above ground. The site is now occupied by a farm and grassland.


Gallery

Aastein Castle

Aastein Castle is a former castle which was situated east of the village of Nieuwer ter Aa, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands.

Aastein Castle was first mentioned in 1394. It was probably built earlier that century as a replacement of Ter Aa Castle, which was situated 700 m north west in a bend in the river Aa. Ter Aa Castle, with a circular plan, was older, dating back to at least before 1156, and probably considered not fitting anymore by the Van der Aa family. They were an important family in this area and owned several castles; Ter Aa, Aastein and Clarenborg.

In the late 15th century the castle went to Gerrit van Renesse, through his marriage with Agniese van der Aa. In 1666 the 3 family castles were sold in one buy by Lady Anna van Renesse van der Aa. A year later they were again sold in one buy, this time to Frederik van Renesse van Moermont, Lord of Zuileveld.

Aastein Castle was destroyed by French troops in 1673 during the Franco-Dutch War. As the old castle had lost its military purpose and was situated next to a silted up river it was never rebuilt. The castle ruins were left to crumble away and every trace of the castle disappeared during the 18th century.

Depictions of the castle show it to have been a square tower house with a rectangular bailey, all circled by a moat.

At present nothing of Aastein Castle remains above ground. The site is now occupied by a farm and grassland.


Gallery